Tools for Testing
March 29, 2018
In Sound and Vibration (Feb 1999), Robert Frey writes about the importance of university students working with “automated, computer-based data acquisition systems” in connection with vibration studies. The basic components required for closed-loop vibration testing are:
- Electro-dynamic or servo-hydraulic shaker
- Transducer (typically an accelerometer)
- Vibration controller (such as the VR9500, VR10500, or ObserVR1000)
- Software package (such as VibrationVIEW)
Vibration Research Controllers
The VR9500, VR10500, and ObserVR1000 are vibration controllers that work with the VibrationVIEW software package. For educational purposes, VibrationVIEW can operate in Demonstration Mode. This test mode will generate data as if the test profiles were being run on a shaker. Please note that the test profiles in the appendix are designed for Demonstration Mode only. Before running a test on a shaker, make sure the System Limits are set to prevent damage to the shaker.
The VR controllers are used to:
- Send signals to the shaker amplifier to run the shaker excitation exactly as defined by an output signal; responsible for the type of vibration observed on the shaker head.
- Receive data from transducers.
- Receive outside information via remote inputs/outputs (e.g., current and voltage monitors or low voltage relays).
VibrationVIEW includes System Check mode, which is used to test and calibrate a system. Optional software modules include:
- Field Data Replication
- Sine on Random
- Random on Random
- and more!
Each module has additional options that are specific to test requirements and customer needs.
VibrationVIEW for Testing, Data Acquisition, and Data Analysis
Human senses are limited. Noise below 100 Hz and millimeter displacement cannot be judged by any person without equipment. VibrationVIEW is used as an extension of the natural senses by recording and displaying test results.
The following is a brief list of reasons to use VibrationVIEW:
- Record and replicate real-life data
- Test a product to any parameter
- Present data in different graphs
- Save data from a test and generate profiles from test data
- Run standard sine, random, and shock tests
- Limit test profiles to protect the shaker through System Limits
- Resonance tracked dwell
- Produce MS Word and Excel reports